Tips for Vets Interested in a Career as a Security Officer

Are you a veteran looking to start a career as a security guard? At Chief Protective Services we can help get you started. 
Before you are eligible for employment as a security guard in the state of California, you must receive a Guard Card. According to the California  Bureau of Security and Investigative Services, the requirements to receive a Guard Card are:

-Must be at least 18 years old,

-Undergo a criminal history background check through the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) 
-Complete the Power to Arrest training


As a veteran you have many resources available to help get you started. Through the Veterans Come First Program your Guard Card license application can be prioritized and will be you will be appointed a BSIS staff member to help you through the process. Learn more by visiting the BSIS website and learning more about the Veteran’s Come First Program. Working with the Employment Development Office it is possible to be reimbursed for expenses related to acquiring Guard Card. To learn more contact your local EDD Office


If you are a Veteran and decide to complete your Guard Card training test with Chief Protective Services we can reimburse you for the cost once you have been employed with us for 90 days of full-time employment. For more information, call 888-332-464 and ask about our Veteran Guard Card Test Reimbursement program.